Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pollo Asado and Low-Carb Cheesecake!

Henry's is probably my new favorite store. I love how inexpensive and fresh the produce is, but I had never really looked through the rest of the store until recently. Today, I spotted some fresh, inexpensive pollo asado at the deli counter, so I picked some up for dinner tonight.
How can something that looks this nasty before cooking be SO DELICIOUS after cooking?
I slapped this magnificent marinated meat on Jorge, my good ol' George Foreman grill. I've been meaning to get a grill pan so I can control the heat better, but this girl is really poor at the moment, so Jorge had to do. The flavor was better than any pollo asado I have ever had, and I'm basically a connoisseur after trying it at so many places. I will definitely be going back to Henry's for more soon!

My attempt at gourmet plating. I'm glad I didn't go down this career path, haha.

On the side, I put some of my favorite tomatillo salsa that  I had just whipped up. I'll try to include a recipe next time I make it, but I keep forgetting to take the accompanying pictures! Bad blogger. :/ Here's a sneak peek of part of the process, though...

Roasting ingredients for tomatillo salsa!

So, after my delicious chicken and yummy salsa, I was craving something sweet. Sticking to my diet, I decided to try a low-carb cheesecake recipe I saw online a while back. Luckily, we had all the ingredients so I didn't have to go to the store after a long day. This was my first time making it, so there are a few things I'm going to tweak next time. It ended up tasting pretty damn good, though!


Low-Carb Cheesecake Ingredients

Cheesecake filling
  • 24 ounces cream cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • 25 grams Splenda
  • Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
Cheesecake Crust
  • 2 1/2 cups ground almonds (pecans would also work)
  • 2 Tablespoons Splenda
  • 4 Tablespoons melted butter
  • 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder (for a hint of chocolate in the crust)

 I started off by making the crust. I dumped the almonds, splenda, and cocoa powder into my trusty food processor.
Making the crust
 Then I processed the crap outta that shizz!


Mmm! Dirt!


Then I added the melted butter and processed again.


It should start to clump and climb up the sides.


Then i packed it down into the pan.


Messy, but totally worth the deliciousness!
I baked the crust for 10 minutes on 350 before I filled it with the delicious cream cheese concoction. I just plopped the cream cheese, splenda, and extract into the kitchen aid until it was soft. Then I whipped the eggs into the mixture until it was smooth and lump-free.


Smooth and lump-free indeed
The filling went into the crust that had a 10-minute head start.


Not perfect, but it'll do.


This liquidy lake of cream cheese went into the oven at 350 for 30-35 minutes.


Hot out of the oven


It came out all cracked and puffy, but when it cooled, It was nice and flat. It was pretty darn delicious while it was warm, but I can't wait to try a nice chilled slice tomorrow! Best of all, it's around 6g of carbs per slice! Not bad when I'm really craving a bad treat, but still want to be good :) I think I may go have another bite!

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment